Kids love being creative and painting is one of those things that allows them to be messy and creative and have fun all at the same time. Sometimes as adults we forget how to be creative and silly. Our children love seeing our silly side. So while it may be easier to set them up at an easel and let them paint their heart out, your children will remember it much more if you paint with them! Make your own silly creations together. The more silly and creative you can be with your paintings the more your kids will want to be the same.
When you paint together with your kids it helps do many things:
- It alleviates fear of painting and messing up.
- It shows them that everyone paints differently.
- It allows both your creativity and your child's to grow.
- It builds self confidence and gives them a sense of accomplishment.

Many times I will ask my daughter to draw me a picture of something, but she usually asks me to draw one instead. She'll say, "No Mommy, you draw it!" It isn't because she doesn't want to draw, but rather she is afraid she can't do it, or that she doesn't know how, or that she will mess up. So, she asks me to draw it for her. When this happens it is an incredible opportunity to show your kids that everyone makes mistakes, and nobody draws perfectly. When I color, I still can't get in all the lines (even when I'm trying!) When I start drawing, she almost always wants to start drawing with me, and eventually has the self-confidence to do her own drawings independently.
There are many projects we can do with our kids on Mommy and Me Days that help build their self-confidence, teach them to be creative, and most importantly help us bond with our kids. So this week, I challenge you to put on some old t-shirts, get out the paint brushes, and have some fun!
Important Mommy Tip: Don't Stress About The Mess!
Kids are messy by nature. Messes can always be cleaned up. Allow them to have fun and be creative without over-stressing about cleaning everything up during the fun.... because ultimately it won't be so fun if you do!
No comments:
Post a Comment