Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Can we play in my room?
Sometimes as working moms we always want to do something fun and exciting like go to the zoo or a theme park or pretty much things that cost money. But, if you put yourself in your kid's shoes, they really just want your attention. Last week I'd planned to take my daughter to a movie. When I asked her about going to the movie she simply asked, "Mommy can we just stay home and play in my room today?"
How often do we actually spend time playing with our kids in their room? Their room, while it may seem messy to us, is actually a safe haven for them. It is a place of imagination and fun. Babysitters many times play with kids in their room, so why don't we as moms? We usually let them play in their room by themselves or with friends, or play in the living room, but why not their room and with us? I know I like to get out of the house so I can get away from thinking about what I have to clean or what chores need to be done. But Mommy and Me Day isn't about me, its about my daughter. (Something I constantly have to remind myself!)
So, I challenge you to not spend any money this week. Instead stay home, turn the TV off, and play with your child in their own room. Build a tent, play candyland, decorate with stickers or play dress-up. There are so many fun things you can do, and when your done you can play clean-up! Your child will appreciate that special one-on-one time you spend with them. No TVs or movies or video games to distract. Focus on having fun with your kids, and for once step out of your comfort zone and pretend to be a kid yourself! You may just begin to realize how much you miss being a kid!
How often do we actually spend time playing with our kids in their room? Their room, while it may seem messy to us, is actually a safe haven for them. It is a place of imagination and fun. Babysitters many times play with kids in their room, so why don't we as moms? We usually let them play in their room by themselves or with friends, or play in the living room, but why not their room and with us? I know I like to get out of the house so I can get away from thinking about what I have to clean or what chores need to be done. But Mommy and Me Day isn't about me, its about my daughter. (Something I constantly have to remind myself!)
So, I challenge you to not spend any money this week. Instead stay home, turn the TV off, and play with your child in their own room. Build a tent, play candyland, decorate with stickers or play dress-up. There are so many fun things you can do, and when your done you can play clean-up! Your child will appreciate that special one-on-one time you spend with them. No TVs or movies or video games to distract. Focus on having fun with your kids, and for once step out of your comfort zone and pretend to be a kid yourself! You may just begin to realize how much you miss being a kid!
Labels:
games,
mommy and me day ideas
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Never thought of it this way, but it is so true. We do family nights at least once a week where all four of us do something like game night, bake things, or go out but never thought about doing this in their room. My two girls share a room so it would be easier. Thanks for the idea and for me think. Look forward to the book.
ReplyDeleteTammy Burns, Somerset Ky