Monday, September 21, 2009
Too Much Work and Not Enough Time for a Mommy and Me Day?
You may have noticed the Mommy and Me Days site has been rather barren this week. When I tell you that I understand what its like being a working mom, I mean it. I've been there, done that. Wait a minute...I AM THERE, DOING THAT!
This has been a tough week. I work for a retail store, doing marketing and a slew of other tasks. Those of you who work in retail know that when the holiday season starts up, it gets crazy. Why is it already crazy in September?! I've worked 6 days this week - plus 2 nights! My daughter struggled to keep her eyes open until I got home on Thursday night. She managed to make it to 10:00pm, but I didn't get home until 10:30pm. I had promised her that if she was awake when I got home, I would read her one of her favorite books and sing her songs. She tried so hard, bless her heart. The next morning she woke up and the first thing she said was, "Mommy, you forgot to read my book and sing me a lullaby!"
It hurt. It tears at your heart strings when you you can't be there for your kids. I know how it feels. As working moms, we feel guilty and yet we shouldn't. Why you say? Because when we go to work:
We are providing for our children.
We are setting a great example of having a "good work ethic"
We are teaching them about responsibility
But while we are doing all of that, who is there for our kids to love them and care for them? Won't our kids think that we are ignoring them, or that we love work more than them? They may, but kids are tougher than you think and they understand a LOT more than you think. Even as young as 3 and 4 you can explain to kids why you go to work every day, and how much you love them.
Kids see your stressed-out side every day. That is why Mommy and Me Days are so important to do on a weekly basis. Mommy and Me Days reinforce the bond between working moms and their kids. When I talk about Mommy and Me Days, I am referring to a day or at least an afternoon, completely dedicated to one-on-one uninterrupted time with your child or children.
This week, we haven't had time to do a whole Mommy and Me Day. That happens - especially during the holidays, working retail. Sometimes you can only dedicate an hour here or an hour there. That's okay, as long as you spend that time focused on your child. If you have more than one child, you can have Mommy and Me Days together - however, try to work into your schedule some one-on-one Mommy and Me time for each individual child if you can. Turn the cell phones off, and focus on your kids.
Together we can be working moms who are making a difference in our children's lives!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment