Before running off to join the circus, Tina received a degree from Ball State University and served in the United States Air Force reserves. Her hometown is Peru, Indiana, which coincidentally is also known as the "Circus Capital of the World", because it is where the circus troupes would stay during the winter when they were traveling, in the early 20th century. Every year, Peru stages an amateur circus, put on by local volunteers. After returning from the Air Force reserves, Tina volunteered for the amateur circus in her hometown in 1999. There, she reconnected with Brian Miser, who was also from Peru, Indiana and a member of the Ringling Brothers Circus. He was a trapeze artist, but had also built the cannon that she would eventually be shot out of. He asked her if she would join him in the circus and shoot him out of the cannon, and she couldn't refuse. Little did she know that she would be running off to join the circus with the man who would eventually become her husband!
Tina really wanted to be shot out of the cannon, despite the danger that came with it. So on the 135th Edition of the Ringling Bros., the husband and wife performed a double-cannon act. Later, they asked Ekaterina Borzikova, a gymnast from St. Petersburg Russia, to join their act. Today Tina and Ekaterina, both of whom are moms, are shot out of the cannons simultaneously. Talk about Super-Moms!
When you were a little girl, did you ever go to the circus and imagine it becoming your full-time job one day?
I always wanted to run away and join the circus, but I never imagined myself doing something as daring as being shot from a cannon!
You were in the Air Force Reserves prior to joining the circus. Do you think your Air Force training prepared you for the stunts in the circus?
Being a member of the AF Reserve trained me mentally for a lot of things. It taught me discipline and organization, plus many more skills that I rely on. When preparing to be shot from the cannon, there is no room for error. As with many jobs in the military, precision and accuracy is important.
What goes through your mind when you are sitting on the cannon about to be shot out?
I am completely focused on every step of setting myself up for the perfect shot. I have a routine that I follow to mentally and physically prepare myself to be shot from the cannon. I follow those steps every show.
What does your daughter, Skyler think of her mommy being a human cannonball?
I just asked her to answer this question and she said, "I like it. The Human Cannonball is the coolest thing in the circus!"
Your entire family is involved in some way or another. Your husband is the one who shoots you out of the cannon. Your daughter Skyler, who is 5, has grown up in the circus. Does she participate in any acts?
She uses some circus equipment set up inside of the trailer that we tow behind our motor home. She puts on 'shows' daily there! I think she would be a great circus performer. She has great poise and talent already, but we will just wait and see. There is no pressure for her to follow in my footsteps.
I am sure you stay quite busy with the number of shows that you do. Apart from performing and practicing, what kind of activities do you do for “mommy and me time” while traveling?
I am homeschooling her in Kindergarten right now. That is actually quite fun. It was awesome the first time she read a little book to me. Besides school, we try to find a fun tourist activity in every town. She is just 5 1/2 and has been to 40 states.

Now, this IS a different job!! Not an average one, that's for sure. Wonder how many Moms can claim this?! LOL
ReplyDelete