Saturday, August 15, 2009

Pre-K Prep: Teach your child to read on Mommy and Me Day by making a book together!

Some people don't believe in teaching kids to read at a young age because they say, let kids be kids. Kids can still be kids and learn. In fact kids at a young age have such a strong desire to learn they pick up things so quickly. Think about it, they are starting their life, and everything is new, they want to learn about everything, so our job as parents (and grandparents) is to teach them. We shouldn't rely on their teachers to teach them everything!

Now yes there are expensive programs out there that you can buy into, one being "Your Baby Can Read" advertised on TV. Its a great program but it is expensive (over $100). But, don't worry, you can teach your kids just as well for nothing, if you put the time and dedication into it.

One thing I will always be grateful to my mom for is teaching me to read. When I was 4 years old my mom started working with me on my reading skills. She made me a book (which I still have till this day). She used a spiral notebook (with Strawberry Shortcake on the front) and wrote in big letters, short sentences about me and my family. Reading one line at a time we would go over the sentences again and again. Eventually I knew what the words are. If I was asked to find a word on the page, I could. Some say, "Well, that's just memorization." And they are right, it is memorization! Sight words are a huge part of learning to read. But as you are memorizing you are also associating letters with sounds. I am a believer because I know it worked for me. I was reading at a second grade level when I was 5, and it was because of my mom.


Here is a project that you can work on with your child or grandchild on your next "Mommy and Me" or "Daddy and Me" or "Grandma and Me" day:

A BOOK ABOUT ME!

What you need: (1) 3-ring binder, paper, 3-hole punch, sheet protectors, marker.
(or you can simply use a .50 cent spiral notebook!)

Write simple sentences about your child and your family. A book about them makes them interested to read it, and makes them feel special. This also makes learning to read fun.

Above are some pictures of our book that my mom has been working on with my 4 year old daughter. And here is a video and proof it really works!


1 comment:

  1. Try playing a board game called Er-u-di-tion that incorporates both sight words and phonics.

    This award winning game helps children learn to read, spell and understand the most common words in the English language while playing an entertaining board game.

    Cards are categorized so children of all reading levels can play together!

    ReplyDelete