Monday, August 10, 2009

HGTV's host, Krista Watterworth talks about working from home and gives tips on how to decorate with your kids.

Krista Watterworth is not your average mom. She is an interior designer, actress, author, HGTV host, and now she is a new mom to her son Griffon who is 1 year old. How does she balance it all? "It's been challenging in more ways than one," Krista says. Krista took time out of her busy schedule to talk to Mommy and Me Days about balancing her job as HGTV's host for Save My Bath and being a full time mommy and wife at the same time. Krista also gives us some great tips on how to spend your next Mommy and Me Day activity, by creating a theme for your kid's room and decorating together.

Being a relatively new mom of Griffon who is 1, has it been hard to balance your busy schedule as an author, television personality and interior designer?

"It's been challenging in more ways than one. We have a wonderful nanny and that really helps, but it also presents a very unique situation. I work from my design studio which is located in our home. It's a loft space so I hear everything and I often run down and play with Griffon, change diapers, feed him or watch Dora. It makes it difficult to get into a flow with work and it takes a little longer for me to get through my to-do list for the day. However, the freedom to work at my own pace and the ability to share some of the day with him makes it all worthwhile."

I saw your design of your son's room on your blog www.roomrecipes.com and notice there is a desk in the room as well. It seems to be a multifunctional room, yet at the same time it is very peaceful with its natural colors. I love the tree going up the wall and the words "grow, love, smile", etc. stenciled on the wall. What was your inspiration for this room? Does this also serve as your "home office".

"You hit upon one of my favorite recipes for design success - use a tranquil and relaxed color scheme when a space is used for many purposes. We lived in a small New York City apartment and, believe it or not, Griffon's nursery was also our home office and guest room. It was quite a design challenge. Every time someone stepped into the space they commented on how peaceful it felt."


On your blog www.roomrecipes.com you mention that kids' rooms don't always have to use the same recipe (pink for girls, blue for boys, etc). What is the most unique children's room you have ever designed?

"Mostly my clients want a clean, fresh look for their children's rooms. The only variable is what style: modern or classic. I think people are a little fearful of going overboard. But I do have a cool room recipe that I'm dying to share. I want to do an art theme with the child's name in graffiti, paint splattered curtains, an easel to inspire the artist within, and a library of kid and adult art books. It's daring but different and funky."

Working from home is many times seen as a huge advantage, and it is. I remember when I first got out of college, I had the fortunate opportunity to work from home. There is nothing like answering calls in your pajamas or working on your laptop from the beach! However, I know it can be difficult to draw the line between work and play time. How do you do it?

"Working on a laptop from the beach sounds amazing! Unfortunately the closest beach for me is Coney Island and even though it's such a cool place it's not what one may call relaxing. I am very disciplined about my schedule. I get up every morning, shower and get dressed as if I'm going to an off-site office. I go to the gym on Wednesdays and Fridays, and when our nanny leaves at 5:00 p.m. my day ends and it's full-on mommy and wifey!"

With your son at the age of one year, many days are probably "mommy and me days" already, but as your son Griffon grows up, and you continue to work, do you plan to institute a "Mommy and Me Day" on a regular basis?

"Since we live in Manhattan and are planning on moving to the suburbs in2010, I want to begin taking Griffon to do some local activities like a Circle Line cruise around the city, museum tours for kids and visiting NYC landmarks. Our first trip was a walk on the new High Line last week (an elevated train line converted into a park). But as you know when they are this little they get antsy, tired and uncomfortable pretty quickly. So we make our outings relatively short. We play and read throughout the day but it's often the business of daily life that keeps us busy like changing diapers, meal times, bottle feedings, and naps. So I love to sit at home with him and dedicate a full hour a day of concentrated reading and playing one on one. At 5:00 p.m. every day I strap him on me in his Ergo Baby Carrier and we go for an hour long walk around the neighborhood. I can't wait to be surrounded by trees and listen to the birds together."

A great "Mommy and Me Day" activity that my daughter and I are planning to do in the near future is to redesign her bedroom. She is 4 years old. Are there any fun and easy design tips that can help young kids participate in decorating their room?

"That's so exciting! I often look to my niece and nephew for inspiration when I'm designing children's spaces. Here's a good start: ask her to draw a picture of something that makes her happy. Then use the picture as inspiration for the design. Your color palette will stem from colors that she is automatically drawn to. If she makes a drawing with many colors than choose three that coordinate. Also if it's a picture of flowers, make it a flower theme. If it's a drawing of a her horseback riding, use that to motivate the room's style. From there create projects together such as stenciling her name on the wall, sewing curtains, beading or bedazzling pillows, wallpapering lamp shades, or painting a mural. Make sure you upload before and after pictures to my Room Recipes blog!"

Be sure to check out Krista's blog www.roomrecipes.com where you can share your videos, photos, and room recipe stories about your home improvement and home decorating projects! Its a great way to find ideas for decorating your own home.

Credit: Krista Watterworth, HGTV Host, Interior Designer and Mommy to Griffon Avery, www.roomrecipes.com

1 comment:

  1. Cool interview. I used to watch "Save my Bath" a lot - especially before I remodeled my bathroom. She has lots of great ideas. I enjoy reading your blog about people like Krista and seeing them as a mom like myself.

    ReplyDelete